Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Touch

The kids and I were reading a book one of us picked out at the library last week. It begins like this:

Littles are loved from the moment they're born.
They're swaddled, and coddled and kissed every morn.
Immediately one of my own littles (I think it was six-year-old Rinnah) interjected, "But Mira wasn't!!!" And so, in the midst of something as mundane as reading a simple rhyming children's book, we took a moment to talk about how important all of that swaddling and coddling and kissing and loving truly is for little (or big!) human beings.

She may not have been when she was born, but we do our best to ensure that she is now.


3 comments:

  1. This brought many tears to my eyes. The sadness - and the beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to read A book called "Ten little fingers ten little toes"to my son who had 11 fingers and 10 toes and when we would get to the line "and both of these babies as everyone knows had ten fingers and ten toes". We would laugh hysterically and my son would yell "EXCEPT ME I HAD ELEVEN!!!!" Life is full of exceptions some such as not being hugged are tragic. Thank goodness she's getting lots of love now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've read that book, too! And enjoyed it, but I remember thinking in the back of my head, as a mother of some "exceptions" that it wasn't giving the complete truth! I love your story - what a great perspective on the delight of the exceptions.

      Delete