Monday, March 11, 2019

A Poem

We were surprised this past weekend by an email from one of our local Bulgarian friends. (I'm still just blown away by the way we've been able to become part of the local Bulgarians-living-in-Minnesota community - such a great way for Bobbi to keep her language, and for all of us to keep our feet wet in Bulgarian culture.) She shared that her daughter had entered a contest for poems about immigration...and won! Even better is the intersection with our life - her daughter dedicated the poem to Bobbi, citing her as the inspiration for the story. As a child of immigrants, knowing many other Bulgarian immigrants herself, she could have pulled inspiration from any variety of sources, but there was something about Bobbi's story that captured something for her, and apparently, her thoughtfulness in telling the story captured the interest of the judges as well!

Enjoy:
“Little Bogomila: Based off a true story”


It happened so fast,
But I remember
That special letter,
The letter addressed for me
Whispering:
I’m going to America.

And yet, here I am.
Goodbye Airplane,
Goodbye Bulgaria,
Goodbye Orphanage,
Goodbye Life,
I miss you, but I must move on.

Now that I see it,
America,
I’m breathless.
Finally saying,
‘Goodbye’ to that
Small orphanage.

Too many feelings.
I’m excited, but
I miss you, Bulgaria.
,,Липсваш ми’’ I whisper.
But now...
I think I’ll just say goodbye.

The airport: overflowing.
Immigrants, everywhere.
One of them though;
Is going to be me.
And I’m going to live
Like a real American.

They’re coming toward me.
I see the family.
But... something is wrong.
It’s missing something.
Maybe they’re missing
A girl like me.

Later the family comes
Surrounded by people:
Very formal.
When they sign a paper
The little child,
Says “ welcome home.”

Thankful,
Thankful that somebody
This kind is here.
Actually willing
To claim me.
I wonder why….

I was happy, but now?
Questions surround me,
“What will they think?”
“Am I an outcast?”
Its too many questions.
How do I answer?

Weeks later,
They drive me somewhere.
Somewhere unfamiliar,
Overfilled with kids
Pushing through and I wonder,
“Is this school?”

Everything: so different.
They talk strange,
A much different language.
And nobody understands me.
Yet I’m supposed to be
In 5th grade.

“Some much stress” I think,
“The teacher is always talking
But I can’t hear...
Or understand
She’s always
Facing me… Why?”

Then when everyone,
Hurriedly piles out
I realize why they’re always staring
It’s the wheelchair on my feet.
I’m angry, it’s just helping me.
How does this matter to them?

And then I see that
We all came from somewhere,
Someplace else.
And suddenly, I can feel a shot of joy
Like I’m not the only one.
But maybe I’m right.

And this may not be
My true home
But I know,
I still belong
And that’s really
All that matters to me.

I feel so proud,
I’ve gone so far,
I’ve inspired many people,
I’ve learned about many other cultures,
I’m just thankful,
That I could see it all happen.

My friends,
My family,
My education,
My life,
Thank you, America
For helping them.

And it warms my heart
To hear others
Who could also share;
Share their struggles
And remind themselves
Just how far they had went.

Other countries,
Other people
Other stories,
Other traditions,
They’re in another world
But here, they can be together

I see it
But differently.
It’s unique.
It’s America.
Това е живота ми.
Това е иммиграция.


Author’s Note: “This is my friend’s story and she is from the same culture as me. I think that this explains why I’m glad for immigration. This is based off of her experience. Special acknowledgments to Bogomila [G]Lewwe.”

2 comments:

  1. Issac Bashevis Singer said that if you tell about one place really well, you tell about the whole world. (I've thought of this quote more than once reading your blog.) That's what I felt - and more - reading this beautiful poem filled with so much empathy and heart. Hoping the author writes for a very long time. Thank you for sharing this with us.💓 Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful poem and tribute to your daughter. We don't realize how it really is through their eyes, with all the changes in languages, customs and expectations. Great job to the author!

    ReplyDelete