Thursday, April 6, 2017

Pronunciation

Just had a great comment/question from someone reading one of my previous posts, and thought it was worth answering as a post of its own:

How do we pronounce your eldest daughters name correctly?

Good question.😃

The first two syllables rhyme with "go."  Bo-go

Next is "me" (and this is the syllable the accent is on). Bo-go-ME

And then, the trick - most of the time, the letter "l" is pronounced more like our "w." (Not all of the time, but most of the time this is the case.) So.....

Bo-go-ME-wah

And she goes by Bogomila. No nicknames for her! (Though she will kindly accept just "Bo" from Reuben, and that's also what we're coaching Gloria on.)

And I know I've shared this before, but her name also has a beautiful meaning: Beloved by God. Probably half of the Bulgarian people we have met recently have commented on what a beautiful name she has, and have asked if I knew what it meant.

Yes, we do, and we believe it to be true.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I always want to call people what they want to be called and be sure I am pronouncing it correctly as well - and even though we will likely never meet, I still want to think of / pray for and read about her while saying her name the right way!! What a beautiful meaning :-)

    ReplyDelete