Thursday, November 15, 2018

The third set of casts

There's so much I should have been putting up here, but it may never happen. So, with that said, here's an update from today's visit with Dr. Healy (the orthopedic surgeon) during which they removed the second set of casts, took new x-rays, and put a third set of casts on.

Wait a minute, some of you may say. Wasn't she supposed to be in casts for six weeks and then start full-out rehab? Well, yes, but everyone's bodies heal differently, and as an eighteen year old instead of an eight year old, she heals more like an adult, so today, at two days past six weeks, she got a new set of casts to wear for another week and a half instead of full freedom.
There's a lot of metal in there!!
BUT, she did get clearance to begin weight bearing at her weekly physical therapy appointment tomorrow.
Bobbi with her Doctor.
As a side note, we have a delightful (to me, as the mom) new situation in the house wherein Bobbi has been appointed (self-appointed, with our approval) as Owen's "Vegetable Mother." I now no longer have the job of making sure he eats his vegetables at supper time, and she's got higher expectations than I do! Overall, Owen takes it better from her than from me. And that little bit is part of why this is worthy of the blog (besides the fact that I don't want to forget it myself!) Adoption has a funny way of putting a family together in a new way, and of introducing a dynamic that on some occasions works for the better of parties who never knew they were going to benefit. For Owen, having an older sister that he has NOT grown up under provides a sort of freshness that he responds well to. For Bobbi, she has the chance to be a big sister! and provide the coaching that he needs, knowing that she's really doing something good for him. I'm hoping for good things to come of this, not the least of which is more vegetables inside of Owen! I should mention, too, that Bobbi is realizing the importance of practicing what she preaches, and on the first night of this new venture when I had served something that none of the kids really liked, she had started the meal by pushing to the side of her plate the parts that she didn't like and didn't want to eat, but after encouraging Owen to take a real bite of his, she followed that up with eating everything that was on her plate as well as asking for a small glass of milk (which she hates to drink, so she just drinks water), and drank that, too, to show him that he could also get down something he didn't like!

2 comments:

  1. That is a pretty rad set of metal. Has she yet compared notes with Grandpa Friedemann yet? Alas, I'm not sure I've got any photos or xrays of the metal in my jaw, but I know it doesn't compare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of pins!

    What a cool thing for Owen and Bobbi to have a big sister/little brother in their life - and that both can benefit in so many ways.

    I'm so glad that Bobbi is healing! And starting weight-bearing, even if still in casts, is a huge step (and I would imagine quite encouraging).

    Continued prayers,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete