Tuesday, March 23, 2021

An 8-day 24-hour stay

 We've got our Mira back home. Crazy girl went and had a really bad nose bleed Sunday evening (which, if you may remember, is what triggered the pneumonia that ended her up in the PICU for a month three years ago). SO FAR her lungs seem okay. The fact that she's already on serious antibiotics for her UTI, and one of them is one that is also used for pneumonias has probably given her a head start on fighting off anything that may have gotten in there.

Matt and I both got to go down yesterday for a short visit, and I snapped two pictures that were meaningful to me:

First, notice how nicely her fingernails look with her hospital gown. Her home nurse did her nails a few days before she ended up in the hospital, and the color is just perfect.

Second, notice how pretty her hair looks. When Matt and I were down there Monday, her nurse was in the middle of rebraiding her hair.
I know I've mentioned this before, but toward the end of our pick up week in Bulgaria over four years ago, Toni, our adoption lawyer on the Bulgarian side of things, called me at the hotel and said, regarding Mira, that she didn't care what milestones Mira made or didn't make, she just wanted me to make sure her hair was pretty. I still think it's pretty fantastic that her nurses at Gillette have a similar frame of mind, such that taking time to braid their patients' hair is important enough that they're 1) interested in doing it 2) actually do it and 3) are allowed to take the time to do it.
One of our referral photos for Mira, taken in early 2016, I believe. Her hair doesn't look as cared for in this photo!




1 comment:

  1. I don't know what it is but sometimes I have seen a photo of sweet Mira and have thought just how much she looks like Leah!! The one here of her profile and beautiful braids made me think that again.
    So glad Gilette has brought such joy into your lives, along with all of their expertise and care.

    ReplyDelete