Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A delightful gift

As part of the additional information we received from our agency when we first inquired more about B, we were given a video of her speaking with an off-camera interviewer. We, not knowing a speck of Bulgarian beyond, "Da," (and we were able to decipher "musica") had no idea what she was saying, but watched it over and over, soaking in her mannerisms, the way she smiles, and holds her head, and raises her eyebrows.


In a moment of brilliance (comparatively - remember, we're still living in a newborn world over here! Gloria just turned three months old yesterday), I thought of the woman we met through Krassi's adoption who is from Bulgaria, but now teaches at a university in Texas. She knows English and Bulgarian! Bingo!!

She and I hadn't emailed in a while, but even with some busy things going on in her life right now, she was able to not only get us a translation back in just about a week's time, but she also provided it to us in the form of subtitles on the video, so we can not only know what B is talking about, but also see all of her body language while she's talking!

It's hard to express how meaningful this is - one more deeper level glimpse into this marvelous young woman who will hopefully become our daughter!

Funny thing is, there's not really that much useful information about her in it. No, she isn't interested in sports. Her favorite subject in school is biology. And she's shy. Very shy.

I realize *I'm* nervous about meeting her because although there's nothing like architecture school to force you out of being nervous to talk in front of people, I'm still just a shy little girl myself inside in many ways, and I can just see us sitting there together when we get our week to visit with her, and none of us being brave enough to say anything. ;) Well, I'm not *really* worried about that because I will make sure we have something to talk about - there is SO MUCH I want to learn about her and share with her about our family and our life here to give her a glimpse of what she's got in front of her, but I'm also planning to bring a coloring book my mom gave us so we have something to do to fill awkward moments. ;)

~~~

My heart aches for this (soon-to-be) daughter of mine. As hinted at on her Reece's Rainbow page, she believes the lie that she is not valuable because she's older and in a wheelchair. I imagine her going to bed every night wanting a family, but believing, because one more day has passed and she's heard nothing, that the lie is true - nobody wants her. What she doesn't know is that we DO want her, and have already been working for months to make her ours.

I've been thinking lately about the parallel in that to the way God works in my life. From my one-sided view of things, a situation may seem impossible. It may seem like nothing is happening - is ever going to happen - but it may already be happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment