Saturday, December 31, 2016

Mom's project

Twenty days until we leave for Bulgaria.

I've been sharing the progress on Matt's project; tonight you get a glimpse of my project.
 I've made a quilt for each of my children - just a small one - bigger than a "crib size," but not really bed sized, either. Owen's was finished before he was born, and hung expectantly on the side of his crib for months. Leah's I started and didn't finish until AFTER Reuben was born when I decided that since I now had a third to make I'd give the one I'd started for her to Reuben and make a girly one for Leah. ;) Somehow I managed to get Rinnah's done, AND finish Krassimir's before he got home. Evania's finally got finished up last spring a few months after Gloria was born and we knew we were bringing Bogomila and Tsvetomira home.

 That means this year I've got three quilts on my agenda!! I had an idea, so got a good start on Gloria's in the spring and summer. I'm currently on the quilting stage of that one. Tsvetomira's I started in the early fall, and although I have everything for her cut, and the more complicated part of the piecing sewn, I put both of those on hold once I settled on a color palette and design for Bogomila's. She, after all, is the only one of the three who will really notice if I have it done or not! She is also the only child who is going to be getting a quilt big enough to fit on a twin size bed.

I'm really hoping, in an odd nesting sort of way, to have this quilt finished for her before I leave on the 20th to bring her home. I've been cutting and piecing all the various elements, and tonight took the time to lay it all out!!!
Her favorite colors are turquoise, black, and gray. Pulling in some purple and green from the fabric she chose (out of three options) for her bedroom curtains provided a nice analogous color scheme, which I accented with a touch of complementary orange in the form of foxes on a turquoise and purple background.
All stacked up and ready to sew start sewing into long strips tomorrow...
And what does this have to do with adoption? Well, not much, and lots all at the same time, I guess. ;) I don't know if Bogomila will understand the significance of the work I'm putting into this, but *I* know it's a labor of love for a daughter of mine who's going to find out all sorts of quirky things about being part of a family!

~~~

Speaking of quirky, I wasn't originally going to post this, but it fits in the "quirky" category.
What's Krassi standing there smiling about?

Well, I can tell you, he never saw anything like this while he was laying in his crib for years at the orphanage! And plenty of our conversation tonight circled around what Bogomila's going to think when she comes home and finds us doing this:
Chad doesn't just provide the manual labor support around here, but also the comic relief. He and his family came over with [an amazing] supper tonight AND their new game of Pie Face Showdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment