Saturday, January 14, 2017

Bedroom progress [by Matt]

Less than one week until Andrea leaves and two weeks until she returns with Bogomila and Tsvetomira. While I think (OK, I know) the bedroom will not be complete by the time they get home, I am hopeful that it will be usable, and at the very least, have Bogomila's room ready for her.

Last weekend when Andrea's parents were in town, her Dad and I were able to get the electrical all completed and since it is on existing circuits, we decided to just hook everything up and not just "rough-in" the electrical. So we have working lights and switches in the bedroom. This past week I passed my electrical inspection.
The temporary rigid insulation is coming off the window opening. You can see the temporary lights hanging from the actual recessed can fixtures and the outlet boxes and wires running at the base of the wall.
After a day or two of bitterly cold weather, today was sunny and nearly 30 degrees so Andrea and I took advantage of the lovely weather to re-open the hole in the side of our basement and install the new windows for the bedroom. By the time the sun went down and supper was on the table, both windows were installed, foamed on the interior, flashed on the exterior and all the exterior trim installed. It is a very good feeling to have those done.
Nailing the first window in after Andrea got it leveled and plumbed on the inside.
Getting the second window lifted in to place. Yes, you only need one window for egress, but we decided to go with two and to match the width of the windows above at the kitchen sink and align with them. Also note the flex duct hanging down in the left-hand side of this photo. All of the mechanical is roughed in and the old openings closed up.
I love January days when you can be out working with your gloves off and your hands don't freeze!
A fun photo at the end of the day showing the finished windows from the exterior. I like the "warm" glow of the window against the white house and the white snow.
Next is the framing and window inspection that is schedule for Monday afternoon. I am expecting that I should also pass that inspection without any issues. As soon as that inspection is done, I have a couple people who are going to help me go pick up the drywall and carry it down into the basement so that it is ready to go as soon as the insulating is done. I am in conversation with the insulator and anticipate them being able to be in and foaming the exterior walls before the week is out. And even before they get that done, I can start on some smaller portions of the closet and Owen's bed area that do not touch the exterior walls.

If all moves smoothly, it would be great to have the drywall all up by the end of next week and then be taping and mudding and maybe priming the week that Andrea is in Bulgaria so we can move the boys beds downstairs and just move them around the room as need to do final painting, install carpet and trim.

I will hold those plans loosely and see what the next couple weeks bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment