Monday, July 29, 2013

Pure joy

Consider it pure joy, my brothers
whenever you face trials of many kinds,
because you know that the 
testing of your faith
produces endurance.

And let endurance have its perfect result,
so that you may be perfect and complete,
not lacking anything.

James 1:2-4

Some days are like that. There is nothing like motherhood (parenting - Matt had the same kind of day I did today!) to bring many trials. 

I think we had at least one, if not two, children crying at any given moment for most of the day. As I think back, that may be an exageration, but it's sure how it felt.

And then bickering. And children who won't take their shoes off when asked. And a certain child who thinks that if no one sees him grinding his elbow into a sibling that it's okay. And plenty of lower lips.

As I look back at what I've written, it looks kind of pathetic. I apparently don't know what real trials are! But James is talking about many kinds of trials, so I would like to think that these little trials are included in that. Because faith is tested - I have a chance to either believe or doubt that children are a blessing, or that walking (step by little step) by the Spirit brings the fruit of patience and self-control. And so in that way, my faith muscles were stretched today.

I have been struck by how much what we think affects how we look at situations in our life. It is significant to me that James does not write, "it feels like pure joy when you face many kinds of trials," but rather, "consider it pure joy." This is a choice I have to make. And if there is joy for me in looking forward to being perfect and complete, lacking nothing, then I can follow that back to consider days like these pure joy.

It, of course, took me until I was changing little diapers for pajama time to get this in the front of my mind, but what powerful words to use to fight against the alternative thoughts (what are we thinking adopting a child? How many will we have crying at one time, then? Why do we think that K is going to like it here? At least where he is now it's mostly quiet! You can't even parent the kids you already have, what are you doing adding another one?)

Here's another familiar passage, including the less familiar verse that comes before it:
This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope. 
 The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail. 
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:21-23

The whole chapter is worth reading to really get the full impact of verses 22 and 23 (and what follows!) but as I was reading here a few nights ago verse 21 had a huge impact on me - what does Jeremiah do? He recalls something to mind. It's a battle of what we think about again. And what happens when he recalls this? It gives him hope. He recalls to mind that there is no end to the lovingkindness and faithfulness of the Lord and that every morning he has new mercy, new compassion for us. This is something worth recalling to mind. I can't botch up today so badly that he can't give me new compassion for tomorrow.

There. I hope you didn't mind listening in as I talked to myself for a bit. ;) Now I think I'm ready for bed, and morning in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment