Saturday, February 15, 2014

Something new

Krassi got to try something new yesterday. We're in WI visiting my parents, and a family from their church (who have been part of bringing Krassi home in a variety of ways) invited us to come as guests to their YMCA and go swimming. Reuben, of course, was delighted - he's always been into water. Owen and Leah both as infants were not so into their bath time, but Reuben loved his from the very first one, and there's been no turning back. Krassi loves his bath time, but it was neat to think of taking this nine and a half year old boy somewhere where he could try a swimming pool for the first time. Wow.

Knowing that getting chilly would be an issue for him, we picked up a swim shirt to give him a little boost.
Going in for the first time with Daddy.
 Although he loves baths, this was a little different! He was not particularly distressed, but also didn't really seem to be enjoying himself. ;) Leah's opinion is that it was loud, there were many people, and there was a LOT going on!
First time going down into the water.

He's got his hands up in his "guarded" position, but beyond that seemed to trust that Daddy had him.

Still not super relaxed! (Unlike his sisters - even Rinnah was perfectly content to have our friend helping her "swim" despite the fact that she's only met him once or twice and probably over a year ago.)
I'm not much into swimming, so I made it my job to sit and watch and take pictures and be ready to hold Krassi when he was done. 

I wrapped him up in towels and held him as close as I could until he warmed up. Daddy took him in for a brief second attempt, but he got chilled pretty quickly the second time, so he and I just watched.

Krassi's physical therapist has talked about wanting to do PT in the pool with Krassi as it both eases weight bearing and also slows down the effects of gravity. We're excited about this as a possibility for him, but know that we're going to need to look into swim attire that will keep him a little bit warmer until he puts on some more of his own body fat!

3 comments:

  1. I just asked Gwen if we should say thank-you to Auntie Andrea for posting pictures of Krassi, and now she's shouting at the computer "Thank you Krassi!" She still loves seeing pictures of him. :)

    Gwen has always been a big fan of baths, but the one time she's been in a pool it was clear that she thought we were Unfit as parents. Can't say I blame her. I love baths, but swimming isn't really my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At one time, I think we took our very young kids to the Gillette pool which had a temperature of 90? I remember it was warm which was great for little ones (surface to volume ratio). Otherwise, look at the Oxford rec center - Lexington & I94 - E & M take the Littles there for swim school lessons - water temps 91 degrees. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction - they swim at Foss swim school around 1661 university - not oxford pool. But the water temp is correct! I know there is family swim but I don't know if you have to be taking lessons to participate. Gail

    ReplyDelete