Saturday, February 25, 2017

You've got your hands full

People are always telling me I have my hands full. Funny thing is I'm often out with only *some* of the kids when they tell me that!

Here, in this post, are a few examples of what it looks like around here to "have my hands full."

Home Schooling with your hands full:
Kindergarten math lesson happening on the right. On the left, a mid-morning g-tube feeding. In the center, Evania and Gloria playing with the dish of coins we use for learning kindergarten money concepts.
I've learned that if they have something to *do* with the coins (like putting them into little cups) they're much less likely to put them in other less desirable places...like their mouths. Most of the time it works.
Sometimes this is what it looks like to have my hands full:
Why is it that "you sure have your hands full" always has such a negative overtone? Everyone, if they would stop to think about it, has their hands full of something. This just happens to be what I've been given to fill my hands with, and there are few things I would rather have filling my hands than this!
Or this! Sorry about the funky hair - this was right after a hair wash, so we're taking advantage of rolling over to spend some time holding her in my arms. She'll get her hair brushed after she's laying down again. But look at that amazing girl! Look how alive she looks! She is starting to get so good at this sitting upright thing that last night we gave her her bedtime neb sitting up in mommy's lap. It went well enough that we did it again tonight before bed, and I was able to even hold her a little beyond that before we could tell it was time to be done.
Here's Mira with her hands full:
Mira's little 5-year-old cousin from England wanted to send her a stuffed animal when she was in the hospital. It finally arrived this past week, which was actually perfect timing. While Mira was in the hospital, she was not even capable of holding something like this in her arms; now a toy like this is perfect size to fill the space that she is now loose enough to maintain!
 Even the littler ones have their hands full:
Evania (yes, that's still lunch on her face, thank you!) wanted to help me bathe Mira. Here she is trying to put a fresh sock onto her older sister's tiny foot. As Rinnah watched me washing Mira's hair, she said to me, wistfully, "I wish I had my own little girl like Mira to take care of, but I know I have to wait until I am older."
Owen with his hands full. 😀
And again - how neat is it to get a ride from your big brother!! The older that firstborn son of mine gets, the more he enjoys his baby siblings.
We've also had our hands full with this guy:
Reuben, after his amazing 22 day stretch of being seizure free, has had at least one seizure on 9 of the last 12 days since then, with three of those days escalating to the point that we administered his rescue meds. Reuben's normal for the last few years has been a bad run of seizures once a week. This almost every day thing really keeps us on our toes. But in a heartbeat I tell you that I'd rather have my hands full of the challenge of being Reuben's mom than miss out on loving this little guy.

So, yes. I've got my hands full. But I don't think anyone could convince me that what I've been given to fill them with is anything but a good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Gwen was so pleased to see that Fox has arrived, and is doing his job to help Mira feel better after having been in the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the life of something whose "hands are empty" and he's got low self-esteem, unhappiness, always seeking for something "worthwhile" to fill his life, and has made some very bad moral choices that have hurt a lot of people - and he knows it.

    Our road is tough, but it's got value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe how alert Mira looks in that photo! I hope she gets better and better. It's amazing what love can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea! I enjoyed this post a great deal. Having "your hands full" is something to be happy about when it comes to children. I am the oldest of nine kids (we're adults now) and I always loved being around "the babies." It makes me smile when I read about siblings "helping" and "playing" with each other. All of your children are beautiful. I am wondering about Mira's little hands. Are they swollen from not moving or do they just look that way in the photos? I am so THRILLED to see her sitting in your lap! Sending love and hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete