Thursday, March 27, 2014

Worth a thousand words

This is what I saw walking into the kitchen yesterday morning. Things like this thrill my heart and are some of the moments I like best about homeschooling.
But I was also very aware looking at this scene that it only involved four of my five children. What was my other little guy up to?
I saw this, and something about it was so sad to me. Here, this little boy who's spent so many years alone is once again, here, alone. All his siblings are together at the table, and here he is, curled up in a ball on the floor. For one moment as I was taking this in it made me wonder - can I really be the mom this boy needs? Is he really any better off here?

I got my answer in the moment after I snapped the picture. This tiny boy heard the sound of the camera, and this is what happened next:
Who's hamming for the camera? ;) There is life in that boy that wasn't there when we first met him in person a year ago! I decided I can give him a moment out of his busy day to curl up in a cozy ball on the floor without needing to feel too sorry for him.

Apparently being part of a family, even a less than perfect family, really does make a difference!
Photo from our first day of visits with Krassimir in March, 2013

2 comments:

  1. [Happened to catch this one tonight rather than in the morning as I usually do, but don't worry, I'll remark this as unread so Gwen can see the pics tomorrow. :)]

    It's probably more important than you might think to give him those moments to curl up on the floor. It's something familiar and safe and gives him time to process. And as you can see, it's not necessarily something that leads to unhappiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up here and wanted to say I've been right at this moment too, Andrea, and love how you captured the question and the answer. And taken aback to see him from a year ago. How far he truly has come!

    ReplyDelete