Friday, November 22, 2013

Goodness

Lord, your goodness
Goodness, never
Never fails
It never fails me
How great....how great....how great...Lord, how great is your faithfulness...

(from a song I've listened to a lot lately!)

One thing I love about the way God works is that he asks us to trust him completely, and yet is so very aware of our human frailty.

I've had a few days this week that were rough - no real reason why they should be, but they were. These times are always a good reminder to me to keep Him at the center of my thoughts, and to meditate on the promises he has made to me as one of his people instead of on the circumstances that are around me, but I am human and weak and that's sometimes hard!

I believe that our own human weakness is one reason why God has not designed us to live our life before him on our own - why he wants us to have others who also believe and are leaning on him day by day near to us. God uses his people to be His hands on this earth.

His goodness never fails. Yesterday at a time when I really needed it, he provided me with an unexpected bit of time with a friend who was able to be His love for me in a flesh and blood variety. A face that I could see listening to me, words of truth and encouragement that I could hear with my own physical ears, and not just in my spirit. How can one ever falter with a God such as this? - always faithful, always true, always sensitive to our weaknesses - Lord, your goodness never fails me; how very great is your faithfulness!




PS. Just to clarify, being able to reflect as I did above does not mean that now things are all great and tidy again. Rather I have found that one great weapon against the attack of discouragement is dwelling on the great faithfulness of the God in whom I put my trust, and in sharing the above, I am reminded of a tangible, flesh-and-blood, God's-grace-intersecting-with-my-every-day-life example of the fact that He is good and He is faithful! And that's a pretty powerful tool. ;) And it reminds me to look for him doing the same thing in different ways today. Now off to change a diaper and fold some laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment