Monday, November 4, 2013

Learning

Well, tonight instead of my going to bed early while Matt was out going over stuff with his mom and brother, I ended up helping Krassi work on learning one of the important things about having a mommy - when you cry, she comes.

Usually that boy falls asleep within minutes (and not just "is quiet" but is actually asleep - I will go in to check!) and tonight was no different, BUT about an hour after he was laid down I thought I heard something. Didn't quite sound like Rinnah, certainly wasn't Reuben who I have both video and audio monitoring on at all times, maybe was the well pump squeaking? But no - it was Krassi whimpering rather loudly. These moments are so tough - is he sad? sick? hurting in some other way? dirty? (well, no - plenty of smell, but a quick check with a flashlight verified it was nothing more than odor) - and, like Reuben, he has no way to tell me, but unlike Reuben, I don't have a lifetime of his clues and patterns to draw from.

So I did what mommies do. I rubbed his back, patted his bottom, held his hand, and sang to him. I wiped his nose (does he have a runny nose? getting a cold? or just loose from crying? Because by this point he was full out crying) and gave him a bit of Tylenol and patted his back and sang some more.

It took about 45 minutes before he was able to fall back asleep. I still have no idea what was wrong with the poor boy. All I can hope is that in these tough times he is getting opportunities to learn what it is to be loved.

And now he's been back asleep long enough that I'm going to try to go to bed...with the little rhythm of Baby wiggles going on inside of me. ;)

1 comment: