Sunday, October 20, 2013

I think someone likes being home

We all slept pretty well last night - even Reuben.

Krassi slept in a pack-n-play in his and Owen's room, because even though we've never witnessed the "pulls to standing in his crib" that has been reported, we didn't want that to happen and have him fall out of the lower bunk - the side rail won't keep all of him in. But this way he's still in his room and Owen, who he recognizes from all week, is there in the room with him.

He's not alone.

And when he woke up this morning he was REALLY not alone. All of his siblings just surrounded him, showering him with their toys and blankets, and pats on the head or the back, or kisses - whatever they could think of. And it was noisy. ;) It started getting a little overwhelming and Krassi was clearly concerned, so we moved into his bedroom and laid him on the lower bunk with either me or Owen nearby, but not touching, and a steady stream of one or two of the other kids, but it was still less intense than the beginning.

Matt took our four youngest children to church with him this morning and Krassi and I stayed home this week. We spent some time on the bed, with me moving in and out of the room with little things I was doing, but always talking so he would hear my voice. He ate something for breakfast, which he wouldn't do when everyone was here. Then I wanted to move into the living room so I could unpack and sort some things before everyone got back, and Krassi laid on his belly on the floor next to me with a bucket of toys nearby.

After we'd been doing this for about an hour I suddenly heard a sound - I looked, and sure enough, it was a breathy little laugh and a big smile! I got the sense that at some level he understood that he was home - that he was at a place that was good.

A few minutes later I heard it again, and now it's been four or five times where, independent of my trying to get a smile or a laugh out of him, all on his own, spontaneously, he's smiling! And the last time he was laughing out loud. A lot. In the hotel we'd get that between supper and bedtime when we would play with him. This is in the morning and all on his own - just happy with his circumstances.

So much joy in this mama right now!

2 comments:

  1. He smells the LOVE, Andrea...just like I told you. The aroma of your house, which makes it a home, is LOVE...the real kind, the kind of Christ.

    hugs,
    elisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is marvelous, Andrea!

    (Can't wait to see a pic of all your children together, hint, hint! AFTER you're caught up on sleep!)

    ReplyDelete