Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Nightmares can be funny

I'm too tired to post about the week with Krassi so far (briefly, we're tired because of Reuben, not Krassi, so nothing out of the ordinary there, and secondly, constipation is no longer Krassi issue - we're hoping after the afternoon he's had that he can make it all night without a major blowout. Or at least until 6am!)

But just for comic relief, here is a recap of the nightmare I had two days before we left Bulgaria lifted from an email I sent to Matt in the early hours of the morning as a way to clear my head and go back to sleep. Enjoy. ;)

~~~
I just woke (it's 3am here) frm the msot horrible nightmare.  We were trying to get through the Sofia airport, and our baggage was awful - we'd packed badly and planned poorly for what to check and what to carry. And we had increasing nmbers of people we were responsible for - including a small adult who we tried to wrap up tightly inside of a mattress roll (Dondi loves the bed here and we've been joking all week about bringing one home!) and then realized that probably wouldn't fly so took her out and decided she could sit in Reu's seat with his ticket and you could hold him on your lap (since by now you and all the kids and Krista and *Davey* are all along as well as Calvin and his younger brother from Owen's soccer team. They had to weigh the kids, too, before they'd let themm through security and Calvin just made it. [note: I have twin cousins, Bobby and Davey. Bobby is married to Krista. Davey is not. Calvin is a boy from Owen's soccer team. I have no idea if he has any brothers.]

So then I realize our plane takes off in 30 minutes and we haven't checked in and I don't know where to go to do that. I check one rom, but it's the pharmacy concourse, so thankfully find a technician (who looks surprisingly like the vice-consul and speaks great English) who informs me I have to go all the way back to the entry to check in and doubts I'll make it in time. In the meantime, you [Matt] have been trying to fill backpacks and bags and load them onto small children and we have endless piles of stuff. The tech finally says he'll just take care of it on his little hand held device so I don't have to get back, but it's now 10 minutes to take off and we're still just through the baggage check area and trying frantically to pack things up. Reuben's shoes are untied, I don't know where Leah and the big boys are (with Krista??) and we have a 3'x3'x1' cardboard box we're trying to cram full of all the rest of the stuff we need and we're hoping we can use it as a carry-on...whose carry-on? we don't know, but we're throwing things into that box: a small wok, the pizza peel piled high with riced potatoes and gravy, the pink sandal that Rinnah likes to wear but is still too  big (can only find one), baby socks, Reuben's clothes, tart pans, we decided to leave the chicken and rice. Shove, shove, shove, pack, seven minutes left - shove the small singing telephone and two other toys into Davey's backpack which has suddenly shrunk to be the size of a camera case, so put the rest into the front zip chest pocket of his coat, go go go...

And then I woke up. No idea if I caught the flight or not. 
~~~
 
The best thing about this dream was that I woke from it not in a cold sweat, but immediately delighted by the absurdity of it and all the random pieces of my week that had managed to find a place in there. But no idea where the wok came from.
 
Maybe tomorrow I'll update a bit more on what's going on here at home with our five children. ;) 

2 comments:

  1. That is funny, Andrea! I was giggling as I pictured it. Funny how absurd those things can seem, yet how REAL when we are actually having them! We are looking forward to hearing how your real life (or maybe more of your dream life) is going. And you have six kids....I'm sure sometimes you have to take that little one into account, too!

    hugs,
    elisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. Reminds me of the nightmares I had (with less frequency, thank goodness) for about 6 years after moving to Amsterdam, along the lines of finding out that we had to pack up our entire apartment and move to far-away place tomorrow. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete