Friday, June 14, 2013

Windows

I had a few things I wanted to update about tonight, and one of them was windows, so when I sat down at the computer and found that Matt had already emailed my dad about it, I grabbed what he wrote (and am posting it with his permission! to save him the time of re-writing it.) So, with that, here's an update related to window in the new addition!

When I first went to the lumberyard to get pricing on a bunch of stuff, windows was one of the line items.  His initial quote was for $23,255.  It was just a single line item with no breakdown. Perhaps higher than I was expecting, but not terribly and there are a lot of windows.  Some of his other numbers were off on quantity from what I was expecting, so I went to Menards for a lot of the basics...insulation, housewrap..., but can't get what I want for siding through them and they don't offer the type of windows I want.

This week I called the lumberyard I first went to and set up a time to meet with the guy who had been doing my quotes.  We sat down yesterday and walked through the windows opening by opening.  We switched some tempering, added a window and the entry door that he had missed (think several hundred for the window and over 1K for the door)  I also found out that he had included brickmold [trim] on the windows instead of selling it separate, so we took that off.  I jokingly said that I figured that should save about 4K and he smiled and said he hears that all the time.  Overall the conversation went really well and we cleared up some of the other areas of confusion and he was talking about how he had been looking at our design website and liked stuff he saw and how when our house gets framed up he would like to come see it.

This morning I get an email with the revised window quote.  He said he went through his sales manager to get me some better pricing. New total is $17,147.  Pretty cool to see the ways God provides.  I add a window and a door to my order and the price comes down over $6,000.  I know brickmold doesn't cost that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment